Who We Are.
In January of 1917, it was reported that the Wimpfheimer brothers, Irving and Herbert, had purchased the former Seaside Market in Quogue and renamed it the Quogue Market. Irving had been working at the Seaside Market previously. The new market combined the butcher, the bakerm and the fishmonger, while before it had been the custom to patronize specialty stores for provisions. The Wimpfheimers were butchers by trade, and their market sold groceries in the north section of the present building, and choice meat, poultry, and fish in the south section. Before opening the Quogue Market, the brothers also ran the New Astor market in Westhampton Beach, but because Herbert was drafted into the armed services in May of 1918, that market had to be abandoned. This area is now the heart of Quogue’s business district. At the time there were many different storefronts that made up what we now call the Quogue Market complex. By the 1920s to 1930s all the buildings were wrapped in brick. Seen above are the Quogue Market staff in 1933, with Herbert Wimpfheimer, far right in hat, and his daughter, Florence. The Quogue Market thrived under the Wimpfheimers until Herbert retired in 1957.